Man what a year. 2013 Highlights in no particular order:
– Easily the greatest powder year of my life. Hitting multiple 12″+ storms gave me a record number of incredible runs this year. Also in the 16 days ridden I rode 9 or 10 different mountains with very few days that weren’t outstanding. A NYE 2012 storm kicked it off at Sunday River, an epic Nemo 18″ day highlighted it and a Colorado trip in March sealed off the season strongly. I also explored hiking my snowboard to local “backcountry” glades runs during some big local snows for a quick fix.
– Backpacking took a step in a cold direction with two awesome back to back bluebird weekend overnights in the 15 degree range on Moosilauke and the Wildcats. I tacked on another 16 peaks which ties 2012 but I explored new areas of NH, the Whites and Maine. I hiked more in Southern NH and even a bit in Cali and Colorado. Also got away from backpacking a little more than I wanted and need to redo some 4ooo footers I only day hiked. Made some good progress on my NH Appalachian Trail sections.
– Exploring the NH Seacoast area took up most of my summer. I didn’t get to know the trails, rivers, bays and beaches until a little late in the year when I moved here so I have a long way to go on this. Really exciting to have a new local area to explore.
– Biking was a pretty big part of most of my year. Now on my second year of riding, I’m definitely getting better. A trip to Highland Mountain Bike park was a huge learning experience and a glimpse at a new form of riding. I hunted and slayed lots of killer singletrack but I think I got most of my mileage by the shore this year on roads and on the beaches.
– As a total beginner, I had a record year of freshwater fishing which isn’t saying much. This was my experimental and research year and I’m super stoked and ready for 2014. Also picked up a canoe late in the year and had some fun exploring local MA lakes and ponds.
– Learned how to SUP at North Beach in Hampton. Definitely a new and excellent way to experience a beach or coastline.
– Progressed my golfing and birding quite a bit.
Didn’t accomplish all of my goals but I am pleased with the ones that I did. I also got to bring some friends along hiking camping and fishing and got them excited to do it again.